Thursday, January 24, 2008

Dancing in the Sun

I got Sundance happy this year. Ok, I get Sundance happy every year, but seven films in a week is a new record for me I think. I usually spread it out over the whole week in a half. But this year I got every movie I wanted (another new record) and I didn't have to switch up schedules and spread them all out at the last second. Woohoo! So this is what we have seen and are seeing:

The Guitar - This was our first film and the first screening *WorldwidE* - that and the fact that Robert Redford was in the audience (Amy Redford, the director, is his daughter) made everybody pretty excited. The film didn't disappoint, the story was a great idea and it was really beautifully performed. And as long as you didn't take the ending on face value, it was very poignant. I wouldn't recommend it for everyone, but if you need a pick me up or even some direction in your life, I'd say it's your movie.

Animation Spotlight - This was the best collection of animated shorts that I've seen at the festival. I have favorites from past years, but I usually have to suffer through something terrible to get to the good stuff. This year they were all good. The one that's getting the most attention is Madam Tutli-Putli. It wasn't my favorite, but it is excellent. It is very cool visually - It's done with puppets and their eyes are real eyes that they filmed separately and added in. But I can't say much about what it's about without ruining it. Yours Truly was my favorite. This might gross some people out, but I promise that it's not about the cooking that's being done - it's about the medium. It's a collage animation! I loved it! He took bits and pieces of film from everywhere and created a sort of gross but very intelligible and quick witted story. A few other favorites are Lapsus and The History of America, but really they were all good. And apparently they are available on I-Tunes. OK, well maybe not yet because I can't find them, but the film makers did say they'd be there, so maybe eventually.

Bottle Shock - Although this film initially has some points against it - 1st. It's not a Sundance movie, it is a very mainstream drama and should have been released in regular theaters. 2nd. It was funded by the winery that it is about (I think they are going to have a good year in 2008). Other than that, I had to love it, I'm completely in love with Napa Valley and seeing it grow up and come into its own made me love it even more. If you love Napa too, you shouldn't have too long to wait for this one, it'll be picked up quick.

Gonzo: the Life and Work of Hunter S Thompson - This is one I've been waiting for a long time and from what I've heard, I wasn't the only one waiting. Besides being a bit too long, it's a great portrayal of his life. It introduced me to more of his writing and showed what an important person Hunter was in his time. Although, he seemed very lost and ended up sacrificing his genius and family for drugs which made the end of his life seem wasted.
This one had Johnny Depp in it, so there's no doubt about it coming to theaters sometime soon.

Chronic Town - We got tickets for this because it's set in Fairbanks, Alaska - which I used to visit when I was living in Anchorage. And they got Alaskans spot on, I wondered if the writer lived there? The film was really surprising because I just thought it'd be a comedy about kooky Alaskans. But they chose to address some very taboo subjects in a place where it's hard to imagine any life really exists (anywhere it gets 60 below is hard for me to imagine). So it was a nice surprise and Todd's favorite movie so far.

We have 2 more movies to see: A Raisin in the Sun and Where in the World is Osama Bin Laden. I am very excited to see both. A Raisin in the Sun is a film adaptation of a play that was inspired by a Langston Hughes poem. I love him. And WWOBL is a film by Morgan Spurlock (Super Size Me) and I've heard he's actually traversing the Middle East on a camel looking for Osama. That should be hilarious and sad all at the same time.

And what have I been making during all this Dancing in the Sun, you ask? Toujours Pur socks I say:

These are the 5th installment of the Harry Potter Sock Club - the gift that keeps on giving - that I got last September from Tan. I really love this one and have been very excited for it's blueness, so excited in fact that I set everything else down and started them 3 times over until I got it just right. Ooooh and I love em!

1 comment:

Tan said...

I love how Toujour Pur is coming out. I am determined to knit mine.

Glad Sundance is being fun. I'm kind of jealous, but too lazy, so will just have you tell me about the movies.