DAY 1
We visited Bart. I've probably spent more time watching
After missing our bus because Powell's book store puts drugs in the air vents that make you not want to leave (Ok not really), we made it to the Japanese Gardens and met up with Sharman (Todd's sister). I'd been before, but never in the rain. I'll let it speak for itself:
Todd and I went into the city by ourselves to ride on the Portland Spirit. It rained the whole time, but it wasn't too cold, so we stayed on the upper deck most of the time. The mist was rolling over the trees and it's a very slow moving river - it was really peaceful.
The Steamroller Rose passed us by
We went wandering around the city after that. There are so many cool little shops everywhere. We found a zine shop called Reading Frenzy. Seriously, they only carry zines! And we found the Museum of Contemporary Craft. They had a gallery show from Ken Shores, whose work combines ceramics and feathers. Even their gift shop was amazing - they had handspun there! And they support a bunch of online crafter's that I love, like Bellamuse and Sublime Stitching. Can I please live here!?
DAY 3
Today was our first sunny day! So perfect, since we planned to be out in Willamette Valley all day for the Memorial Day celebration. We met up with my friend Chelsea and her family and we all went to Cooper Mountain Winery. It was great to get a feel for the country in Oregon. And the winery had a musician and artisan cheeses to compliment our tastings, so it was a cool little party.
DAY 4
Driving, driving, driving. We got to our camp really late, so we barely had time to set up and then we cooked our food in the dark.
DAY 5
Sasquatch!!! I didn't really know what to expect from this festival. I've been to the Gorge before, and it is by far the best venue I've ever visited, but it was a totally different scene from this. We went for The Flaming Lips, The Hives, Built to Spill, Rodrigo y Gabriela, Flight of the Concords, and we found two bands I'd never heard before: Kay Kay & his Weathered Underground and Siberian - both local Washington bands. The show represented a lot of different sounds. While the Hives were jumping around for an hour talking about how cool they are, Rodrigo y Gabriela got the entire crowd to sing Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here" with them. Wow! ...is all I can express here.
DAY 6
After all that, you'd expect us to be tired, huh? We were:
On the Red Line to the Airport
So we're sold. We love Portland. I think that we belong there. Now I just have to get through 2 more years of school. Or really, I should just concentrate on getting through Summer semester. I have 12 hours of classes every week, it's been a bit intense. But I must admit after this vacation, sitting in class isn't too hard.
1 comment:
Wow, you got through way more things in your trip to Portland than I ever do! We are going to make it to the Japanese Gardens and Saturday Market while we're there in a couple of weeks. After that we'll just have to wait for you to move there so we have someone to visit.
Post a Comment