Monday, July 09, 2007

Knitting Torture. Knitting Therapy.

Do you want to torture yourself or your loved ones? Knit a plastic bag. Or better yet, ask someone else to do it for you.


Plastic bags are crunchy and stiff. They scratch your hands. So why would I ever want to finish knitting this? After cutting up 30 some bags to make "yarn" you already feel pretty invested in the project. Honestly, now that I'm finished, I love it. It looks cute and it's really sturdy. I'm never making another but I've got this one, that's all I need. And once you get over the "yarn," it's pretty easy. I cast 54 stitches on circular 15's and knit round and round until I got the desired length. Then bound off 9 stitches for the handle. Another nice thing is that if you run out of "yarn," you can just cut more plastic bags into strips and add them on using a slip knot.

My knitting therapy (for the plastic bag knitting and my classes) was the duck walk socks (inspired by a Nicky Epstein stitch) And two more cable hats. I had one request from my Mom and Kimberly's last hat got stolen in the hospital. They are so quick, so I'm even thinking about making myself one now.

Also went to the Toadally Frogs exhibit this weekend at the
Natural History Museum at the U. It was pretty cool, not as big as I thought it would be, but they did have some pretty cool frogs. I couldn't get any good pictures of the frogs, but I did get one of this great little statue:


Before that we made a trip to the London Market for Harry Potter candy. They've discontinued a lot of the HP candy, but they still had Jelly slugs and Bertie Bots Every flavored beans. I think I'll have to go through those before the movie. I really don't want to get a booger or vomit bean accidentally in the movie theater. The whole errand was funny, I haven't planned a trip to the candy store with friends since I was 10.

1 comment:

Tan said...

I have a bunch of bags stored somewhere in my closet to do that same project. They had great silver metallic looking ones at Nifty Cool for a while. I will have to save it for some times when I'm recovering from two broken legs or something, it sounds like.